Tuesday, September 1, 2026

One More Time?

Posts here on Blogger can have Labels, and I give at least one Label to every post I publish. Some of those Labels I don't use very often, like "Stories" or "Identity." Others are pretty much obsolete; I don't plan to go back to "The Origin of Species" or "The Republic" anytime soon, if ever.

One Label, "Rampant Idiocy," has been retired. I decided that it was more uncharitable than I really wanted to be... calling people out as stupid is demeaning to people I didn't know, and insulting to people who honestly have better things to care about than what some random blogger thinks of them. So, on balance, I'm glad I stopped using it.

But that doesn't mean that there aren't occasions that I want to bring it back...

The House is set to vote as soon as Tuesday on a four-page resolution that "condemns and denounces socialism in all its forms, including the Democratic Socialists of America and opposes the implementation of socialist policies in the United States."

House Democrats fume about GOP's anti-socialism bill

Really? This is what Republicans in Congress think is important? Big picture, I get it. Donald Trump, with no end of assistance from the Republicans in Congress and other offices across the country, has done a bang-up job of tarnishing the Republican brand in the eyes of the public (most importantly, the low-propensity and only marginally partisan voters that Republicans will need to turn out for them) and are hoping that Red-baiting (I note the irony of this) will help rescue their chances of retaining control of the House of Representatives.

Now, had they happened to consult with me at the beginning of the 119th Congress, back at the start of 2025, and asked how to put a stop to the spread of "socialism" in the United States, I would have suggested something simpler: Make Capitalism work for more people.

Maybe it's just me, but if Socialism is honestly gaining ground in the United States of 2026, it's because people are neither convinced nor hopeful that the current "free market" is working for them. And they want to try something different. It's no different than how the nation ended up with Donald Trump being President for a second term, the Biden-Harris administration did so little that people who weren't ardent Democrats could point to that the electorate decided that giving someone who had already shown he didn't give a lick about actually governing another shot was their best option.

And now Republicans in the House of Representatives want a pointless vote simply so they can try to hang it around Democrats' necks come this November. Because this is the best they can do, given their unwillingness to stand up to the President, and their inability to keep their voters in their corner. Making America Great Again, at its very best.

And so I find myself plunked down in front of my keyboard, when I really should be in bed, doing my level best to contain the impulse to dust off "Rampant Idiocy" and allow the part of me that revels in being snarky and snide to run free.

Calling people out as stupid, however, won't solve anything. Speaker Johnson isn't going to read whatever takedown I could come up with, and then pledge to do better by the citizens of this country. He'd simply write me off as a partisan hack, and go back to whatever it is he does on a day-to-day basis. And the people in Louisiana who voted for him would likely think him correct in doing so. Because they don't think the problem is a failure of governance; they, like Republican voters around the nation, are much more likely to think the problem is a bunch of immoral and/or irrational people whose dire economic straits are solely their own doing.

So here we are, with Congress looking to gin up another Red Scare. Because virtue signalling is a less expensive way of getting votes than actually working to solve problems. 

No comments: