Sign Off
![]() |
The sign reads: "If you were to die tonight, are you sure you're going to heaven? Believe in the Lord Jesus and you will be saved - you and your household. Acts 16:31." |
At first, I thought that the woman on the far corner was a panhandler. It's somewhat common for them to put a fair amount of detail into their signs, explaining their plight. Or, perhaps, a protester... this particular corner in the next suburb over seems to be a somewhat popular one for people with axes to grind against something or another.
As it turned out, she was something of a missionary, holding up her neatly-lettered white sign with a message of salvation on it. Despite the fact that western Washington has a reputation for being a secular place, there are a fair number of churches out this way, including a local megachurch on the other side of town that seems to change its name (and controlling pastor) every couple of years or so. So, I find it somewhat surprising when people are out stumping for Christianity in general, rather than seeking attendees for their church in particular.
But the other thing that I found interesting about this is something that I hadn't really thought about previously. The bottom of the woman's sign references a particular passage from the Bible that it (partially) quotes: "Acts 16:31." For someone who was unfamiliar with Christianity, that citation wouldn't mean anything. Although I suppose the Internet would help with that, it still strikes me that this is the sort of thing that's aimed more at lapsed Christians (who would be more likely to understand the notation) than non-Christians.
In any event, by the time I made it to the store and back, she was gone, as is common. I wonder if she prompted anyone to change. Or, other than myself, to even take specific notice of her.

No comments:
Post a Comment