Friday, May 19, 2023

Detoxed

Let me start by admitting that I don't get it.

I suppose that what Steve Kelly is getting at is the idea that "toxic masculinity" is simply a lifestyle choice, and one that's somewhat appealing to a particular group of women. Okay... so? I'm pretty sure that there are men out there who prefer women with chins... not to mention skulls that aren't a full quarter of their body height.

But I guess what this cartoon is really about is Mr. Kelly leaning into the idea that that "toxic" and "traditional" (read: "stereotypically conservative") masculinity are one in the same. This sort of redefinition of terms that originate with people that the stereotypical conservative doesn't like is common enough that if I'm talking with a conservative acquaintance and a term like "wokeness" or "toxic masculinity" comes up, I immediately stop them and ask them to define the term for me, so I know what they're referring to. Otherwise, things are likely to go South quickly, as we talk past one another. Which, to be fair, happens often enough anyway. Usually because this or that conservative thinker swears that the idea that "toxic masculinity" refers to something genuinely corrosive is yet another hateful Leftist plot against America, and the person I'm talking to refuses to entertain that their favorite pundit may not have their facts straight.

But even with that, this is just a guy with noodles for arms and questionable fashion sense. I've met people who look every inch the part of urban hipster but would never have anything to do with Liberal politics. Physique and clothing choices aren't really very good indicators of broader social attitudes.

And I guess that's why I don't get it. The guy in the cartoon could be anyone. Sure, he'll never make a Marlboro advertisement, but the presumption that he's somehow incapable of espousing or living "traditional" masculine values is to make that box even more confining than it already is.

No comments: