Sunday, March 10, 2024

Unscriptured

Back when I first started this project, I wrote about a group of activists who met every Saturday to protest the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. And I'd dropped in on them from time to time, to see how things were going. With the end of active military operations in the two nations, the protests wound down.

But with the war between Israel and Hamas, and the common idea that Israel is dependent on the United States to the degree that President Biden could effectively end Israel's ability to prosecute the war, protests are on again, in the same place at the same time.

I made time to drop in on the protests this week, mainly to get some photographs; it's the sort of thing that I find to be worth recording. I chatted with the protestors for a bit, noted both their small numbers and the absence of any counter-protests, and snapped a few photographs. Far from the paranoia of the mid-00s, a couple of the protestors wanted to make sure that I was able to get clear pictures of their messages.

I've had four years of theology classes and I'm pretty sure I don't recall that being in the Gospels.
I'm still unconvinced that street protests like this, especially when they are small scale, actually get anything done. But I will give them credit for persisting.


No comments: