Tuesday, March 5, 2024

Marked

 

Graffiti is, for the most part, impenetrable to me. I can admire the clear artistry that goes into some of it, but the message is generally beyond me. Such is the case here, with the spray-painted scrawl I encountered on the boarded-up front of what had been a Staples office-supply store in the area. I presume that odd mix of Christian and Egyptian motifs means something (other than the tagger being mentally ill) but I have no idea that that something might be.

This sort of weirdness pops up a lot, here in the Seattle area, and more so as one gets into the city proper. It's the sort of thing that local Republicans decry as the beginning of the end of any semblance of Law and Order in the region, while local Democrats often feel it doesn't rise to the level of criminality. Political arguments (and talking points) aside, it does seem as though the area is in something of a tug-of-war over whether the local architecture should be a canvas or not.

No comments: