Wednesday, August 30, 2023

Other Side of the Tracks

The RV homeless encampment near where I work has grown slowly over the past several months. When I first noticed it there, it had three RVs in it. Now eight are parked in the area.

This time, I took a picture from the parking structure that was in the background of that first picture. It's easier to get all of the RVs into the frame than attempting to work from street level.

Vehicles have come and gone from the site over the months. For a while I thought that maybe the space would empty out entirely; perhaps the police had been leaning on the inhabitants. But not long after that. more campers found the space, and every few weeks, another RV would show up.

I can't image that it's pleasant living so close to an active rail yard, especially being so close to a grain terminal; those trains can be remarkable loud. It is, I suspect, why there's nothing in the way of residential in the immediate vicinity. Still people must make do with what they can get, and as the Seattle area's homeless population grows, the RVs, tents and (for the truly desperate) other makeshift shelters proliferate.


No comments: