Sunday, February 12, 2023

Moving In

It is a truth, generally acknowledged, that any vacant land in Seattle, not surrounded by copious and secure fencing, will become an encampment for the homeless absent a consistent law enforcement presence.

I drive near this site on my way to and from work, on those days when I go into the office, and I noticed that the fencing that had blocked it off from the street had been partially removed a few weeks ago. Walking by earlier in the week, I noticed that these RVs and tents had set up shop in the space. I suspect that it won't be too long before something is built on the space, so this camp is going to be as transient as many of the others, but the relative speed with which people moved in speaks to the depth and breadth of the housing shortage in the Seattle area.


No comments: