Saturday, July 9, 2022

Birding

These guys came to hang out with me during lunch yesterday.

It was interesting to watch them. Both had clearly come to understand that humans eating outside carried the potential for easy calories... but only to the first bird that could claim them. The seagull had started out standing on the rocks, until growing discouraged and flying up to the nearby rooftop. But when the crow decided that it would take up that perch, the seagull rushed back, and took up the spot at the end of the row of tables. And their they stayed, for about ten minutes, watching me eat, and ready to pounce should I drop something or walk away from my meal for a moment.

Typically, I don't mind feeding the birds; but since I was at work, no morsels were forthcoming for these two. I'm well aware that birds that come to see humans as direct sources of food can become pests, and seagulls have been known to swoop in on people carrying food in an attempt to startle them into dropping some. So they went hungry, at least for the time being.

Once I was done eating, A walked a short way from the table, and then turned back to watch what would happen next. The seagull, complaining loudly, flew back to the rooftop to scan for any other meals that it might be able to secure (likely any crabs foolish enough to allow themselves to be seen on the nearby beach). The crow, on the other hand, flapped over to the spot I'd just vacated, and absolutely scoured it for any hint of leftovers. I was impressed by how thorough its search was.

I suspect I'll see more of these two throughout the summer, as they keep a lookout during lunchtimes for any abandoned people food. Or perhaps it's more accurate to say that they'll see more of me... I've heard that crows, at least, can recognized individual people.

No comments: