Sunday, May 22, 2022

The Blind Spy

I've encountered a decent number of  people who come across as afraid of surveillance capitalism. And I understand the sentiment; if one sees advertising as being highly persuasive, the idea that marketers with large amounts of personalized data could get almost to the point of mind control is rational.

But I've never really seen the problem. Mainly because in my own experience, even with information, the sorts of things that are suggested seem unconvincing. Even leaving aside the idea that targeted advertising can't tell when a purchase has been made, and so continues to pitch things even after one had bought what they need, what the algorithms seem to think people are about can be nonsensical.

Back in the Google+ days (and it seems remarkable that the service shut down only three years ago), the network would suggest things to me based on what it knew of the people in my circles, as if the idea that I could communicate with people who had different interests than my own was a new concept. And recently, Google podcasts has started adding  suggestions like Gaana Music, Jokes in Hindi and Evergreen Hits of Bollywood to my suggested podcasts, along with Voice of America's Learning English podcast. Where they came up with the idea that these things were the least bit relevant to me is a mystery.

I'm completely on board with the idea that a corporate-owned surveillance system designed to come up with a constant stream of reasons to spend money isn't an ideal situation. But I think the idea that it's already here is a little premature.

No comments: