Sunday, May 22, 2011

Another Day

Unless I didn't get the memorandum, the world did not, in fact, go into turmoil yesterday evening. So I went for a walk this morning, and enjoyed it. Which I don't do often enough, I realized. So perhaps Harold Camping and company did me a favor, in reminding me that I should spend more time appreciating the world around me. I have no reason to believe that the world has fallen into wickedness and depravity - at least not any more than has always been the case. So I have no concern that an angry deity is going to take it upon himself to destroy the place.

Be that as it may, however, the world and I are both finite. Our days are numbered. That alone should be an incentive to take in the sights, sounds, textures and smells of it all with greater frequency. While a private laugh at a man whose devotion may have lead him in delusion is a remarkably trivial reason to do anything, I shouldn't bother with even that much of an incentive before I determine to go out and appreciate what the world has to offer me.

No comments: