Wednesday, February 7, 2024

Escalations

Charles Darwin identifies three basic conflicts that made up the Struggle for Survival. They can be summed up as interspecies conflicts, intraspecies conflicts and conflicts versus the environment. I think one of the things that makes the concept of "evil" so compelling is that it elevates conflicts between people, either individuals or populations, from the personal to matters of the life and death of the species as a whole. And when the stakes are suddenly that high, it's easy to conclude that there's no such thing as extremism.

Aside:

For those of you who weren't here when I started The Short Form, it's mainly an antidote to my tendency to be wordy. Sometimes, thinking about what would otherwise be a long post helps me distill it down into a sentence or two, that says what I want to say, perhaps with a bit if context thrown in for added clarity.

No comments: