Wednesday, January 2, 2019

Once More 'Round the Sun

As a child, sometimes there are numbers that just mean "a lot." For me that number, when it came to hold old people were, was forty. I couldn't really imagine what life after forty was like. I turned forty a decade ago, but strangely, it still seems unimaginably old. It's that now, I'm unimaginably old.

And just like back in the day, when I couldn't imagine what I would do with myself once I was just old, I don't really know what I'm going to do with this year. New Year's Resolutions and I have never gotten along; I don't have the wisdom to pick things that I can actually sustain for an entire year, and so I always feel that I'd simply chosen poorly. (This blog, on the other hand, while it's nothing like I envisioned it back when I started, has shown remarkable staying power.)

That said, I think I do have an idea of what I should do with myself this year (other than travel). I'd embarked upon a project to become more accepting of those things about the world that I cannot change. Maybe it's now time to start gearing up to make changes to those things that I can. I don't really have an idea of how I plan to go about this, other than simply doing it and seeing what happens. Which has kind of been my life in general since I turned forty. And while I'm not sure that I recommend it, it's been working reasonably well thus far.

No comments: