Sunday, April 6, 2008

The Ghost of Mount Rainier


Unless there's been a good rain a day or two before, the Puget Sound area tends to be somewhat hazy. This has the interesting effect of making it difficult (for me, anyway - especially given the distance involved) to photograph Mount Rainier. You can see the mountain through your viewfinder, but 4 times out of 5, the haze washes out the mountain in the actual photograph. I presume that I as I actually learn how to properly use my camera, I'll be able to get around this problem. And I have a couple of ideas in mind already. But until then, I'm going to find myself dealing with an effect that I've come to think of as "The Ghost of Mount Rainier." Not only because despite the fact that you can see the mountain, it's hard to photograph, but the haze makes the mountain itself look more phantasmal than real.

No comments: