Tuesday, August 6, 2019

Unnoticed

I am, at least most of the time, comfortable with my own insignificance. I understand that in the grand scheme of things, the difference between my being here, and my not being here, is vanishingly small. The Universe will not miss me once I am gone. There are a few people that might, and that may have a heavy impact on them as individuals, but existence will proceed, pretty much the same as it would were I never to have been here.

This is not a particularly popular position, and I have encountered a number of people who have been inclined to dispute it with me. The reason for this, I believe, is that many people associate it with a tendency to self-harm. The insignificant have no reason to continue their own existence, as I understand the general gist of it. But it suits me, and I'm still here. And, perhaps more importantly, it frees me from having to prove to a world that seems uncaring that it should care. I can be content in the number of people who do express caring, and not need anything from the rest of the world.

No comments: