Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Chronicles of Banality

Nobody in Particular is banal. I, as its author, understand this. I'm not a particularly insightful or artistic person, and so there's not much here for the person who's really looking for a different take on the world. And in that sense, I wonder if it will ever really be useful beyond the exercise in writing and/or discipline that it provides me.

I don't know that it will be, but I would like to think that it will have some use to someone at some point in the future. History is made by great people, art is made by creative people and so on, but perhaps the day-to-day understandings (or misunderstandings) history and artistry will provide a context for people to make sense of them.

For nearly all of the events of the present, and every event of the past, I only have second-hand knowledge. I was not present to see them myself. (For instance, I didn't go out for lunch today, and so missed the abortion-rights protest that was taking place across the street from the building I was in.) The only way I can know anything about these events is to receive information from some other party. Who may or may not actually have been present themselves. And so much of what I know about the world is due to someone deciding that it is important enough to tell me. But the important things that happen when I am present for them are few and far between.

And so I write about things that are everyday and humdrum, and I'm likely an everyday and humdrum writer. Hopefully, that is okay.

No comments: