Thursday, October 1, 2015

Therefore

Given long enough, it will become impossible to find any trace of my existence. Only question is how long is "long enough?" But, given its inevitability, does it matter? In the grand scheme of things, the difference between the day after tomorrow and One Million A.D. is trivial to the point of being completely irrelevant. Either way, things will go on without me. And I'm okay with that. Partly because not being okay with it is not going to change it. While the Universe may end when I die, that's really merely a side effect of the fact that "I think, therefore everything is." I have ended countless times, with every death of a person who knew me, and yet, here I am. It will be the same when I die. But I'm also okay with oblivion because, well, what is wrong with oblivion?

We are, I think, taught to think of ourselves as valuable and, to an extent, need that feeling of being valuable. And the understanding that, once we are gone, everything else is capable of going on without us as if we never existed works against that. And being able to imagine, and thus create models of things that never were, we conceive of a world, of an existence, in which we are important - in which we matter in a broader context than just ourselves. But if our importance, our necessity, our mattering, begins and ends with us, and everything else is functionally the same, what does external validation offer us?

If "I think, therefore everything is," from my own point of view, I am the most important being in the Universe. After all, without me, it wouldn't be here. And that is enough, even though it is only true for myself.

No comments: