Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Life Spiral

Maybe it's just because I'm suddenly feeling my old age, but I've noticed recently that social media is often a place of intense negativity. I'm not talking about the constant trolling and harassment of people; rather just a pervasive air of doom and futility. Which I understand. People often use the Web to seek connections with others, and that makes it a natural place to talk about one's problems and dislikes and look for people to commiserate with.

Still, I wonder what would happen if we turned that on it's head, and sought to share the positive things that happened in our lives. It's not easy to do, to be sure. I try to be more positive in my own dealings with the Web, yet I often find myself sliding back into the comfortable role of Internet curmudgeon. I'd like to think that we could turn the tide by being supportive of one another and mimicking - answering positivity with positivity.

Stranger things have happened.

No comments: