Friday, December 27, 2013

This Is Only A (Bogus) Test

I haven't been paying much attention to the few social media sources I follow recently, and so the news that Wikipedia had been vandalized with racially-tinged messages calling for the impeachment of President Obama has escaped my notice until I stumbled across a page that was still vandalized. While the bogus "advertisement" was poorly done, it seemed to be an interesting trolling attack. From what I've been able to gather, the targeted pages all had to deal with China and related topics.

And that raises an interesting question for me: Who was the perpetrator, and who was target of the trolling? The "advertisement," when I saw it, didn't seem to lead anywhere other than a Talk Page (which, until is was deleted, was a strange mix of complaining about the supposed experiment in Wikipedia ads, people complaining that people who didn't see through the hoax were stupid, partisan sniping and comment vandalism). It's unlikely that it was meant to raise the possibility of impeachment, the Lyndon LaRouche PAC has been calling for the impeachment of the President (normally with posters that portray him with a Hilteresque toothbrush mustache) for years now, and it comes up from time to time in conservative radio.

A screenshot of the "advertisement" in question.
The bogus test advertisement has a definite TEA Party/Reagan's "Welfare Queens" vibe to it, so perhaps it was meant as a jab at American conservatism. Of course, it portrayed the President as a redistributionist - at least as far as giving things to black people was concerned, so perhaps he was the target. The pages that were vandalized all seemed to relate to China in one way or another, so maybe that was the connection. I have no idea.

But I have to admit that I'm curious.

No comments: