Saturday, March 30, 2013

Odd Company

According to today's wandering along the "Next Blog" link, Nobody in Particular has been hanging out with Christians, punk rockers and people who quit blogging between 12 and 48 months ago.

I must admit to a level of curiosity as to how the "next" algorithm works. While I do opine about topics touching on religion here on a fairly frequent basis, I don't pontificate about Biblical topics or the while Christian movement. On the other hand, I hardly talk about music at all, and I don't think I've ever mentioned Punk.
But most strange were the significant percentage of blogs that were no longer active. Some seemed to from people who simply didn't have the time and/or inclination to keep up with them. Some had moved to other providers, and so their final post was something along the lines of: "Follow this link to the new home of this blog." But many just seemed to stop, with a final post that gave no real indication that the author never intended to come back and write more. You'd think for all that technology journalists had latched onto the idea that Google+ was a "ghost town," that Google would be sensitive to having the "Next Blog" link take a surfer to a page that hadn't been updated in months or years.

But their party, their rules, I suppose. But the neighborhood seems less vibrant, when the lights are out in so many of the houses. Of course, tomorrow is another day, and by the time it occurs to me to have a peek into the local weblog scene again, the rabbit hole will lead someplace entirely different.

No comments: