Saturday, April 7, 2012

City Life

Normally, I live and work in the suburbs. This has been the case for most of my adult life. Even when I've lived in major metropolitan areas, I've never been anywhere near the city core.

This makes it easy to forget, in a sense, the homeless. Not in a literal sense, but in the sense that they drift out of sight and out of mind. The occasional panhandler that I see by the highway off-ramp just sort of comes and goes, and when he's not there, I don't think much about him. But when I was walking to work Friday morning, and I noticed someone sleeping in a doorway, I suddenly recalled him (likely them, really, even if there is only one person there at any given time). And I wondered, where was he, and how was he getting by? Welcoming doorways can be few and far between in the boonies.

No comments: