Sunday, January 1, 2012

Old Acquaintance Be Forgot

Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't see you there.

Have we met? Oh, you're 2012? What happened to 2011? He did? Really? So soon. Where do they all go?

Thanks, I'd always wondered about that. Well, are you sure he's not coming back?

Oh. I guess they never do, do they?

Yeah, we had some unfinished business. It wouldn't help if I said I owed him a hundred bucks, would it? Yeah, I thought not.

No, not really. But I guess if 2011's moved on, there's no chance of getting a hold of 2000 or 1992, is there?

Well, I should have done the entire early 90s differently. I made a lot of mistakes back then. Too bad I couldn't have gotten paid for screwing things up. I'd be a rich man by now.

What did I do wrong? Do you have a year? Oh... crap - I shouldn't have said that. I'm really sorry - that was insenstive of me.

Why thank you, 2012, you're quite gracious. And I really am sorry... I wasn't thinking. They're all out of reach, huh? A pity, that. 1992 was good, you know. Are you sure you can't put me in touch with her? Just for a few minutes? I only want to make a couple of -

Of course. Rules are rules. Story of my life.

What? I'm sorry. I was daydreaming. Have you ever met 2003? He was pretty cool. I was just hoping to run into him again.

Yes, yes, you're absolutely right. I don't mean to ignore you, it's just that I'm -

Yes, exactly. Living in the past. Well, hoping to, anyway. But you're right. That is unfair to you. Let's try this again. Hello, 2012. I'm pleased to meet you.

Hmmm.... You're right. We'd better get started. There's plenty to be done, and 12 months really isn't that long a time. Although I didn't think that 1975 would ever - OW!

No, no, you're absolutely right. One at a time. One at a time.

No comments: