Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Are You Sure You Want To Do That?

I'm starting to think that too much "New Media" causes brain damage. Is there any chance of calling a moratorium on video racist rants, disaster trolling videos and mocking catastrophes in tweets? Can we get a week, maybe?

Granted, it's not like these sorts of things are new. We've been engaged in a desperate race to produce a bigger idiot for what seems like ages. So this isn't the first time that anyone's said something so moronic, you wonder who they borrowed the I.Q. to tie their shoelaces from. But now people seem to think nothing of making statements into what are basically permanent repositories for what they say. Once you post something on YouTube, Tweet it or post it on a weblog, for that matter, it never really ever goes away... all it takes is one chap to be quick with a "download" button or some copy-and-paste keystrokes, and scrubbing the Internet for all Eternity won't manage to wash away the taint.

I don't doubt that I've said some stupid things on this weblog. I do try to be careful though, because my name is in the URL for this thing, and I don't want something I say now to become a millstone around my neck in 2025, even though I know that I don't have a particularly large audience. You'd think that people who're actively looking to reach out to as many people as possible would put as much thought into things.

Edited --

I almost forgot... we should add threatening to kill people because they said stupid things on the Internet to the list.

Sigh.

No comments: