Sunday, July 11, 2010

The Captcha Salesman

Okay. New theory to explain the random postings of comment spam here on Nobody in Particular. Well, any theory, really, since I don't think I really had one before. I still think that badly-concealed weblinks tacked onto Chinese text are only going to ensnare people so stupid that they've long been bilked out of whatever money the "businesses" at the end of the links hoped to get out of them.

So now I guessing that these guys are shills for a captcha (Completely Automated Public Turing test to tell Computers and Humans Apart) service. I'm pretty sure that if I turn on the captcha function on the comments section, the blog spam will die pretty quickly. This simply isn't a high enough traffic site for them to pay some dispossessed third-world dirt farmer to sit in an internet café, and try to hack whatever image appears.

I wonder what the commission rate is?

No comments: